Matsumae International Foundation Scholarships in Japan for International Students 2023 is open for International Students, Domestic Students. The scholarship allows Research level program(s) in the field of All Subjects taught at Japan Universities Matsumae International Foundation. The deadline for the scholarship is Open. Matsumae International Foundation Scholarships in Japan for International Students 2023 is available to undertake Research level programs at Japan Universities.
The following financial supports are provided to successful applicants.
Fellowships are provided to the successful applicants only and are intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances, this fellowship is transferable.
The MIF was established in 1979 with the goals of inviting promising young researchers to Japanese research institutions to nurture abilities that will enable them to solve issues facing their countries and of supporting activities that build bridges between Japan and their countries. The MIF is modeled on the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in Germany and as a private entity, the MIF carries out activities to invite overseas researchers to Japan, regardless of their nationality, religion, or the political system they come from and provide them with opportunities to pursue research completely free from obligation.
Requirements Criteria for Scholarship:
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all the following requirements are eligible to submit application documents.
- Applicants must obtain an invitation (acceptance) letter from a host institution in Japan prior to application.
- Applicants must hold Ph.D. (Doctoral degree).
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time of application.
- Applicants must have sufficient English or Japanese languages ability.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan (other than short-term stays such as for sightseeing or conferences)
- Applicants must have an occupation in their home countries, return there upon completing their fellowship tenure, and should contribute to the development of their own country.
- A monthly allowance of JPY 220,000 is provided to cover expenses for research activities (including materials) and living expenses in Japan.
- JPY 120,000 is provided to cover part of the initial costs of living in Japan.
- Round-trip economy class airfare is provided between the nearest international airport from a grantee’s domicile and Tokyo, Japan.
- Overseas travel insurance with medical treatment and death benefits is provided.
- The MIF invites fellowship recipients to participate in a study tour during their fellowship to deepen their understanding of Japan.
How to Apply for Scholarship:
All documents must be typed in English.
Inadequate documents will not be accepted.
The following will be automatically rejected without notice.
- Emails over 10 MB in size.
- Emails with attachments with file extensions other than “pdf.”
- Emails with attachments in any compressed format such as “zip” or “rar.”
- Emails include any program files or downloadable links.