In a commitment to fostering global education, the University of Sheffield is thrilled to announce the availability of 75 International Undergraduate Merit Scholarships for the autumn 2024 intake. These competitive awards, each valued at £10,000, aim to support exceptional new international students pursuing undergraduate degrees. Let’s dive into the details that make this opportunity a game-changer for aspiring scholars.
Applying for Excellence: Key Dates and Eligibility Criteria
- Opening Soon: Applications launch in late Autumn 2023.
- Mark Your Calendar: The deadline for submissions is Monday, 22 April 2024, at 1.00 pm (UK time).
- Celebrating Success: Scholarship winners will be announced on Wednesday, 15 May 2024.
Eligibility Requirements for International Undergraduate Merit Scholarships
To be eligible for this prestigious scholarship, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Programme Commencement: Your course must commence at the University of Sheffield in autumn 2024.
- Course Offer: Receive an offer for a full undergraduate degree programme at the University, with exceptions for Medicine (A100/A101) and Dentistry (A200).
- Self-Funding: For tuition fee purposes, you must be self-funded and eligible to pay the overseas tuition fee.
- Non-Sponsored Status: Applicants must not be sponsored students.
- Programme Year: Enter a degree programme at the University in either year 1 or year 2.
Navigating the Selection Process: What Sets You Apart
The University employs a competitive process, where a panel of senior staff members meticulously assess applications based on the following criteria:
- Excellence Across Domains: Showcase achievements demonstrating excellence and initiative in educational, voluntary, or extra-curricular activities.
- Alignment with Aspirations: Connect these achievements to the chosen course at the University and articulate how they align with future ambitions.
- Academic Prowess: Present a strong academic profile that reflects your commitment to educational excellence.
Securing Your Future: Award Details and Criteria
To secure the International Undergraduate Merit Scholarships 2024, keep in mind the following details:
- Commencement Requirement: Begin your studies at the University of Sheffield in autumn 2024.
- Single Award: Limited to one award per person.
Incompatibility with Other Scholarships
These International Undergraduate Merit Scholarships cannot be awarded in conjunction with specific scholarships, including but not limited to:
- International Baccalaureate Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2024
- NCUK Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2024
- GEMS Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2024
However, it can be combined with department or faculty-specific scholarships, subject to certain conditions.
International Undergraduate Merit Scholarships Duration and Terms
- Maximum Years: The merit scholarship can be provided for a maximum of 4 academic years, excluding years in industry or abroad.
- Financial Benefit: The scholarship is applied as a tuition fee discount only, with no cash alternative.
Your Path to Success: Applying and Ensuring Eligibility
Ensure your journey towards securing the merit scholarship remains smooth by adhering to the following guidelines:
- Clear Path: You must commence your studies in autumn 2024 at the University of Sheffield.
- Conditional Assurance: If selected, the scholarship is guaranteed in your first year, subject to achieving specified academic criteria in subsequent years.
Decision Matters: Final Notes and FAQs
- Finality of Decisions: The scholarship panel’s decisions are final, with no appeals considered.
- Good Faith: All decisions made by the University are in good faith, with a commitment to fairness and transparency.
FAQs: Addressing Your Queries
- Can I apply for multiple scholarships simultaneously?
- No, the International Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2024 cannot be combined with specific other scholarships.
- What if I change my degree programme during my studies?
- Depending on eligibility, you may continue to receive the merit scholarship if you change within the concurrent academic year.
- Is the scholarship applicable during industry or study abroad years?
- No, the merit scholarship is not applicable during any years in industry or any compulsory or non-compulsory years abroad.
- Can the scholarship be deferred to a future year of entry?
- No, the scholarship cannot be deferred to a future year of entry. Deferring entry forfeits the award.
How is the scholarship applied for part-time students?
- Part-time students will receive the equivalent value split pro-rata over the duration of a single full-time academic year.